About Me

My photo
So many things have happened in life that have changed the course and destiny of my future. The good news is that I know Who holds my future, and I am trusting Him to make all things new. I was married for 25 years to the father of my children, and never imagined myself just another "statistic." I could get bitter and allow it to consume me, but I have chosen to let God heal me through the gifts He gives me everday...the gifts of special people in my life who move me, motivate me, love me, care for me enough to tell me when I need to pick myself up...I am truly blessed beyond measure!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

An "Almost" Attitude

Sitting in a meeting this week, someone made this statement..."there is no such thing as almost right; it's either right or it's wrong!"

For most of us, we would think "duh...that's common sense!"  But, upon hearing that statement initially, my jaw dropped.  Now...it may not hit you like it did me; you may not see the profundity in it.  But let me tell you...everyone else in that meeting came back to that one statement when the meeting was over, and perhaps it was a "location" statement, because it made a profound impact on everyone of us sitting around the table.  It was said without a flinch, without batting an eye, and with the utmost calm and so matter-of-fact.

How many times do we do things "almost" right and let it slide.  How many times do others do things "almost" right to us, and we let it slide?  The statement brought me back to so many other things I've heard in my life..."it's black or it's white"..."it's hot or it's cold"..."it's in or it's out."  My daddy always used to say "closeness only counts in horseshoes and hang grenades."

That very statement caused me to look inward at my own life, my thoughts and my actions.  I immediately thought of things that I "almost" got right; things I "almost" did; or statements I "almost" made.  When I strip away all of the outer circumstances, I can see things for what they really are.  It honestly made me want to steal away and spend some time in prayer, asking God to forgive me for my "almost" attitude.

I don't want to get my relationships almost right...I want them to be as right as they possibly can.  I want to strive every day to be a better mother, Nana, sister, aunt, cousin, friend and employee. I want to wake up every single morning with a renewed vigor to give the day my very best...when I lay down at night, I want to rest assured that I have given it my utmost and not my almost.

**Precious Jesus...may I always be reminded of the ultimate sacrifice of your
best that you gave on the cross of Calvary.  Help me to be mindful
of giving you my very best.  Help me to refrain from looking
at things in an "almost right" sense.  I want everything
I do to be right in your sight.  I want to please you
with the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart.
Help us to respond to every situation that comes our way
in a manner that glorifies you.  
In Jesus' Name I pray...Amen**

No comments:

Post a Comment